Chawanmushi (Savory Steamed Egg Custard) <Easy Recipe>
Chawanmushi is a Japanese dish commonly served as a side for sushi, soba, and other types of Japanese cuisines. It is made from eggs, dashi, and other ingredients which are mixed and steamed in a small cup. Here is how to make the perfect smooth chawanmushi at home!
What is chawanmushi
How to make
Ingredients <3-4 servings>
-40ml Dashi stock
-Your choices of fillings (shrimp, mushroom, ginkgo nuts, leafy vegetables, chicken, etc)
-3~4 small heat-resistant cups or bowls
You might find dashi stock (Japanese cooking stock made from seafood) at an Asian market or online.
2. Put the fillings prepared and cut into small portions in the cups.
3. Strain the mixture into the cups.
4. Cover the cups with the lid or aluminum foil.
6. Cover the pot, and cook for a minute on the high heat and then 15~20 minutes on the low heat.
7. Check if they are cooked using a toothpick. They are supposed to be not liquid but very soft.
8. Top with shrimp, leafy vegetable, or whatever you may fancy.
- I love traveling and eating. My favorites are everything matcha and cheesecakes.