What's Mizu Yokan And How To Make It?
Japan's summer often gets very hot and humid. Mizu yokan (水ようかん), or red bean sweet jelly, is one of the popular summer desserts of Japan that can make you cool down. This article will introduce what is mizu yokan and how people enjoy it. Also, I will introduce a recipe of how to make authentic mizu yokan!
Mizu yokan contains less agar and more water, which makes the texture softer and smoother than a standard yokan. It is a refreshing and sophisticated-looking dessert. You can enjoy the natural flavors of the red beans that are the true taste of the Japanese traditional dessert.
Common Variations of The Mizu Yokan
-150g Sweet red bean paste*
1. Process the red bean paste until it gets smooth.
2. Put water and agar in a pot and boil for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the liquid to the red bean paste little by little and mix them together.
4. Add sugar and mix well.
5. Strain into a mold and chill it.
*About the paste. If you don't live in Japan, it may be difficult to find the red bean paste, but you can probably find the dried red beans. The paste is not so difficult to make from scratch. You need about the same weight of sugar and dry beans to make it. Just soak your beans overnight and boil them until they are tender. Then, add the sugar and mash until it turns into a paste.
Delicious and refreshing summer dessert, mizu yokan!
- I love traveling and eating. My favorites are everything matcha and cheesecakes.