What is Mitarashi Dango?
Mitarashi dango is a type of dango, it is a Japanese sweet dumpling made from rice flour just like mochi (a rice cake). Mitarashi dango is made of dango covered with sweet soy sauce graze. Its taste can be described as a combination of sweet and salty. Its saltiness of soy sauce and the sweetness of sugar makes the flavor unique and delicious. It was originated in Kyoto during the early 20 century.
How to Make Mitarashi Dango
The recipe of mitarashi dango is not too hard, but it might be hard to get some of the ingredients outside Japan. Here is a recipe for it.
150g of Joshinko (Rice flour)
50g of Shiratamako (glutinous rice flour or sweet rice flour)
150 mL of water
・For the sauce
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar (change the amount of sugar depending on your liking)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon of mirin (sweet cooking sake)
1/2 tablespoon of potato or corn starch
50mL of water
Picture of Joshinko and shiratamako.
1. Add Joshinko, shiratamako into a bowl. Mix them with your hand while you add water slowly. Knead the mixture until the dough gets smooth and soft.
2. Make the dough into the small pieces of balls. The size should be a little smaller than a ping-pong ball.
3. Put the dango balls you made into a pot with boiled water. The dango balls should sink into the water.
4. Wait until the balls come up to a surface of the water. Let it float for 1~2 minutes, then take them out into a ice water.
5. While you cool down the dango in the iced water, make the sauce.
6. Put all the ingredients for the sauce into a hot pan or a pot and stir it until it gets mixed and thickened.
7. Take the cooled down dango balls out of the water and put the sauce on top.
Where to have good mitarashi dango in Japan?
Even though it is possible to make mitarashi dango by yourself, it would taste better to eat the traditional mitarashi dango in Japan. You can get mitarashi dango at a supermarket or a convenience store, but Kyoto would be the best place to get one because mitarashi dango was originated in Kyoto.
1. Kamo Mitarashi Chaya (加茂みたらし茶屋）
This place is the one that started a food mitarashi dango. If you are a fan of mitarashi dango or just want to have a good mitarashi dango, you must try this one. The sauce of it has a great balance between sweetness and saltiness.
2. Kotoka (古都香）
This mitarashi dango can be described as simple, but delicious. This is a classic dango and is simply delicious. Its dango is made of 100% Oumi rice flour, which makes it soft.
3. Miyoshiya (みよしや）
This mitarashi dango is unique because you eat it with kinako (sweetened soybean powder). This dango is called "mythical" dango because the store only opens for two hours a day, and it closes as soon as the dango sold out. The taste of this mitarashi dango is not too sweet.
This is all about mitarashi dango. It would be fun to make one by yourself, or it would be delicious to eat it at one of the stores introduced above. Also, if you visit Kyoto for mitarashi dango, here is an article to find other delicious food.